Introduction to the LIAC Crime Library
The LIAC Crime Library is a collection of well-known criminal cases that happened between the early 1980s and 2014. It has been designed as a resource for HSC Legal Studies students and teachers. Each case includes links to the court decision (if available), how to find media reports about the crime, and any books or other resources that discuss the case.
Some of these cases may have been appealed or overturned since 2014. Use the Legal Studies - HSC research guide to find newspaper articles and other resources which will help you update cases.
Making the most of the LIAC Crime Library
sign up for a Library card - you will then have access to the State Library's collection of eResources to access full-text newspaper and magazine articles
use the Find a Case tab - you can find cases arranged by:
- case name
- victim's name
This list contains some cases that have no published decision. They have been included because they’ve attracted a high level of media commentary.
Legal information at the Library
This guide has been developed by staff of the Legal Information Access Centre (LIAC), State Library of NSW. The State Library holds an extensive collection of case law, legislation and looseleaf publications.
LIAC provides quality legal information to NSW communities through the public library network, the dedicated Find Legal Answers website and by working collaboratively with key agencies.
Criminal justice issues
Evaluating the effectiveness of the law? These websites will help you find information about any issue you have identified from this case and background information that is helpful for evaluating the effectiveness of the legal system:
- NSW Parliamentary Library Research Papers : Background and briefing papers on crime
- Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research (BOSCAR)
- Australian Institute of Criminology publications : A - Z list of subjects.
Statistics can be helpful for evaluating the effectiveness of the legal system:
- Crime Statistics : NSW Recorded Crime Statistics - BOCSAR
- Quarterly updates and annual recorded crime reports : BOCSAR
- Criminal Court Statistics : BOCSAR
- Crime and Justice : Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)
- A statistical snapshot of crime and justice in New South Wales : Parliamentary Library statistical indicators paper by Tom Gotsis, October 2014
This resource has been produced by LIAC in response to information requests from legal studies students. Many of the cases covered are on violent crimes and contain very graphic details that may shock or disturb readers. Warnings have been placed on the cases that are the most extreme. LIAC does not intend that the inclusion of cases in this guide should be interpreted as a suggestion to read such material.