World War I and Australia

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander visitors are kindly advised that this website includes images, sounds and names of people who have passed.

All users should be aware that some topics or historical content may be culturally sensitive, offensive or distressing, and that some images may contain nudity or are of people not yet identified. Certain words, terms or descriptions may reflect the author's/creator's attitude or that of the period in which they were written, but are now considered inappropriate in today's context.

Key to library resources

Access anywhere with a library card In the Library (or anywhere with a Library card for NSW residents)
Available to access in the library Only in the Library
Publicly available online Publicly available

Soldier settlement schemes

Returning soldiers

Each Australian state government realised the importance of providing a source of income for returning soldiers as well as to recognise the personal and family sacrifices made by them.

The New South Wales government introduced the Returned Soldiers Settlement Act in 1916. Soldiers were eligible to apply for Crown Lands if they had served overseas with the Australian Imperial Forces or with the British Defence Service. The soldiers also needed to have been honourably discharged to be eligible.

The land was available to the soldiers on affordable terms and they could also receive advances of money to make improvements to the land, which was often in poor condition. They could also use the money for equipment, plants, stock and seeds. Soldiers who had received smaller blocks of land often experienced significant hardships.

The Returned Soldiers Settlement Act 1916 was amended in 1917 to allow other soldiers such as those who did not serve overseas to be eligible to apply for Crown Lands.

Barracks at Batlow used by soldiers

More information



Sale of surplus lands Burrinjuck with frontage to the stored waters of the Murrumbidgee and Yass Rivers, Yass District


Returned soldiers' settlements: regulations for trainees on farms.


Copying, publishing or purchasing digital copies

You can make copies of pictures for research and study purposes by:

  • using a digital camera
  • using our microfilm reader printers 
  • ordering paper or electronic copies
  • ordering high quality digital scans  

You need to contact us for permission to publish our original materials. You must also acknowledge the Library and provide the correct location details. 

Find out more about copying and purchasing digital copies.